As part of a drive to create asynchronous learning resources for the SMACC Education Workshop, Chris Nickson talked to Simon Carley to find out ‘How to make Journal Club work”. It also ties in nicely with the SMACC EBM Workshop that Simon is running. They cover the objectives, structure and setting, the people involved, content and conduct, tech and resources to help with journal club and what the oucomes should be.
Check out Simon’s St. Emlyn’s post on Journal Clubs for an introduction.
Key Journal Club references
- BMJ Careers, 2011: Are journal clubs an essential tool for postgraduate education? Yes by Sophie Cook [Free Full text] No by Helen MacDonald [Free Full Text]
- Deenadayalan Y, Grimmer-Somers K, Prior M, Kumar S. How to run an effective journal club: a systematic review. J Eval Clin Pract. 2008 Oct;14(5):898-911. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2753.2008.01050.x. Review. PubMed PMID: 19018924. [Free Full Text]
- Patil P. Establishing an Effective Journal Club: A Postgraduate Educational Tool.Education In Medicine Journal, 2013 5(3). doi:10.5959/eimj.v5i3.134 [Free Full Text]
- Pitner ND, Fox CA, Riess ML. Implementing a successful journal club in an anesthesiology residency program. F1000Res. 2013 Jan 16;2. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.2-15. PubMed PMID: 24358844; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3752701.
Also, this is the iTeachEM post on NB that was mentioned in the podcast for collaborative document annotation: NB Helps Flip the Classroom
Free websites with journal club archives
- Critical Care Journal Club Critiques
- EBDM Journal Club
- Ohio state EM
- St.Emlyn’s Journal Club
- STH Journal Club
- The Department of Emergency Medicine at UC Davis
- The PedsCCM Evidence-Based Journal Club
- The Washington University Division of Emergency Medicine Journal Club and EMJClub Podcast
- Twitter Journal Club
- University of Michigan
- University of Ottawa
- Wiki Journal Club
Useful critical appraisal resources
Come meet Simon and the iTeachEM team at smaccGOLD.
Vive la FOAM!